Monday, August 31, 2009

After the morning newspaper and coffee, I headed up to 57th. What a wonderful morning, and what a wonderful way to start the day! The five mile loop went fine, and as I rounded the corner from 65th onto Freya, it looked like there was a reasonable chance for a new personal best. Sure enough....58 minutes! So that's an average of 11 minutes and 36 seconds per blessed mile.

In a week (on Labor Day) I am getting together with Brian's parents to learn more about their plans for "Frogs Helping Families". But if you get the chance, I would encourage you to visit their website (brianslegacy.org). I, for one, have tremendous admiration for Jan and Steve. And I hope that the preparation and participation in this "race" in late November can be of help to their cause. Maybe it will raise some money, but maybe it will also raise awareness of the needs, right here in our community. Just imagine being a parent with a child suffering from a life-threatening illness.

My wife and I went to dinner on Saturday evening over in Coeur d'Alene. I noticed out the window of the restaurant that there was a horse-drawn buggy taking folks on a tour of downtown Coeur d'Alene. I'm not sure whether those were clydesdales pulling the buggy, but they certainly had some similarities to the Budweiser clydesdales that we see in commercials during football season. In horse vernacular, a clydesdale may be synonymous with smart, or distinguished, or larger than life. In "running" vernacular, clydesdale means just larger that life. Many races have a category for these larger runners called clydesdales, if you are a male and weigh over 220 pounds. I could shed 80 pounds and still be in the clydesdale category! Seasoned runners can pick out a clydesdale "runner" from miles away. As the cars go by on 57th and observe this larger than life "jogger", there's no question whatsover......that's a clydesdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment